New Food Allergy Restaurant Review Website


Greetings Support Group Leaders,
 
To introduce myself, up until a year and a half ago, I was News Coverage Manager at CNN's Washington Bureau where beyond my daily news responsibilities I produced many stories on food allergies with chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta. You can find online some of the TV transcripts and CNN.com articles I wrote on the subject, including a report on Sabrina Shannon, which won a number of journalism awards, including from FAAN.
 
I became interested in the subject after my daughter was diagnosed with multiple food allergies (at the time, allergic to all major allergens + a few).

I'm writing you as I'm in the process of launching a website where families with food allergic kids/parents can write reviews about restaurants they visit. There are fantastic online resources reviewing restaurants and hotels, (Tripadvisor, Yelp, VirtualTourist, etc.) but because I couldn’t find any that consolidated the experiences of those with food allergies, I decided to create an interactive database where we can review restaurants, hotels, airlines, and kid-friendly venues (like Disney). Wouldn’t it be great to give a shout out to a place that did a great job helping your child have a safe meal, or warn others of a place to stay away from at all cost?

The web address is www.lonelyplate.org. I'm asking friends and food allergy support group members to publish the first posts or send me (so I can post for them) reviews of businesses they've visited. This kind of information-sharing is crucial not only to keep each other safe but also can be a message to restaurants that we are a consumer community worth catering to.

Among the Washington, D.C. support group members, we have been exchanging this kind of information for years (as I know many of you do in your locales), but we never shared this information with food allergic families in other cities and countries, something I aim to accomplish.

Looking forward to hearing from you. I’d appreciate it if you could distribute this email to your group members.

Best wishes,
Sharona Schwartz

No comments:

Post a Comment